This revelation, that we are both specially created and wilfully fallen, is discerned throughout Scripture. However, the first four chapters of Genesis are a key to understanding our human situation as God's provision for salvation which subsequently unfolds.
- Humanity is created in the image of God (Genesis 1:26-27)
- God's intention is the harmony of humanity with himself and all creation (Genesis 1-2)
- We have been terribly scarred by sin arising from human disobedience (Genesis 3-4; Jeremiah 2:20-21; John 3:19-21).
- The consequence of sin is separation from God (Genesis 3:23; Isaiah 43:27-28; Matthew 15:8; Isaiah 29:13).
- This is our universal human condition (Romans 5:12-14; 1 John 1:8)